Update on Passport and Visas from the Dept. of State

The Department of State has issued an update on the delay in processing passport and visa applications.  They estimate it will take weeks before they are at full capacity.  For more information from the state department, click on the  following link below. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html For information on how these delays affect travelers click on this link.  http://tinyurl.com/o7zyrfe

What Do you Need to Know About Visas?

It is important to understand the difference between an immigrant visa ( green card) and a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa.  These two kinds of visas conflict with each other because they require a different kind of intent.  To learn more about this topic click on Visa.

Immigration Clinic in Syracuse, NY

We have changed to a monthly format  for the immigration clinics in Syracuse, NY. Beginning in August 2014, there  will be an immigration clinic on the first Tuesday of every month.  The next immigration clinic is scheduled for Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at the Catholic Charities Refugee Resettlement Program at 529 N. Salina Street, Syracuse, NY. A lawyer will be available from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM to provide a consultation at no charge to those who are looking for legal advice on an immigration issue. This clinic is available to those who qualify based on income.  You do not have to be a refugee to come to the clinic. To make an appointment contact Felicia Castricone at 315.474.7428 Ext. 11 or fcastricone@ccoc.us or Sally Curran, Esq. at 315.579.2576  or scurran@onbar.org. Click on Syracuse Immigration Clinic for a flyer.

Passport Processing Delays

Due to technical problems with the passport/visa system the US Department of State reports delays in issuing  documents including passports.  This is a worldwide problem. We will provide updates as they become available.

Syracuse Immigration Clinic

Video interview with Diane Chappell-Daly  on the development of an immigration clinic in Syracuse, NY.


Renew DACA Application

If you have received approval for DACA (Deferered Action  for Childhood Arrivals) it is now time to renew. Click on the link below for more information about renewal of your DACA application.


How can I apply for a social security card?

To apply for a social security card, a foreign national must either be a permanent resident (green card holder) or have permission from USCIS to work in the US.  Students in F-1 or J-1 status may also be eligible to apply for a social security card. To apply for a social security card, the applicant most show documents that establish identity and documents that establish permission to work.  For more information on how to apply for a social security card, click on social security card application.

NYC Offers ID Cards to Undocumented Immigrants

New York City will provide city ID cards to all NYC residents, including undocumented immigrants (sometimes known as illegal immigrants). NYC ID card holders will be able to use the cards to access city services.  Please note that the ID cards will only be issued in New York City to NYC residents.  They are not available for those who live outside NYC. Click on the link below for more information.


Employer Update: I-9 Mistakes

The Dept. of Justice recently released an update for employers on E-verify.  E-Verify is an electronic process that employers may use to verify the work authorization status of employees. For most employers this is a voluntary process. For some employers it is mandatory, Click on the link below for updated information on E-Verify.


For examples of mistakes employers may make in preparing I-9 forms and in using E-Verify, and for examples of fines assessed for these mistakes, click on the following link:



Do you have an approved H-1B Petition with a start date of October 1, 2014?

If you have an approved H-1B petition with a start date of 10/1/2014, and you need to apply for an H-1B visa at a US consulate, you may now contact a US consulate for an appointment to apply for your H-1B visa.  Dept of State rules allow those with approved H petitions to apply for a visa up to 90 days before the start date on the approval notice. Although applicants may apply for a visa up to 90 days before the start date, the H visa is only valid for entry to the US 1o days before the beginning of authorized work .