Passport Update



Passport Pages:  Beginning January 1, 2016, the US Department of State will no longer add  visa pages to US passports.  After that date passport holders who need more pages for entry  or exit stamps will need to apply for a new passport.  The State Department made this change to enhance passport security. Requests for additional passport pages will only be accepted until December 31, 2015.  For information on how and where to apply for a passpot visit Travel.State.Gov/ApplyEarly

Diane Chappell-Daly Answers Immigration Questions



Immigration Questions? Almost everyone who has worked on filling out an immigration application has questions about the form and what happens after the form is filed. See my answers to recent immigration questions here.

Work Permit Delayed?



Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Work Permit Delayed? 

Most green card applicants file an application for employment authorization along with their application for a green card. This temporary permission to work allows green card applicants to work while waiting for a decision on the green card application. It should be issued within 90 days of filing the application.

What can you do if your work permit application is pending  for more than 75 days?

Call the Immigration Service National Customer Service Center (NSCS) at 800-375-5283 and ask for a service request. The NVC will send this request to the service center that is processing your case.

– The NVC will ask for your filing receipt number when you call. This number can be found near the top of the notice you receive after you file an immigration application.

What can delay your work authorization?

  • If the Immigration Service asks for more initial information, the 90-day clock will start over from the date that the Immigration Service receives this initial evidence.
  • What is “Initial Evidence?”
  • – Any document or form that is specifically required by the form instructions, including the correct immigration filing fee. Read the form instructions carefully to be sure that you are sending the correct filing fee.
  • If the Immigration asks for additional evidence, the 90 day clock will stop when the request is send and start again when the additional evidence is received.
  • What is “Additional Evidence?”
  • – Evidence not required by the form instructions, but which may help the Immigration Service decide whether you are eligible for a green card.
  • If you request that your fingerprinting (biometrics) appointment be rescheduled, the 90 day clock will start over from the date you request a new appointment.

Tips to Avoid Delays in Getting your Work Permission

  • Submit a complete application and all the required documents when you file your application for a green card.
  • Provide additional evidence that shows you are eligible for a green card. For example, if you are applying for a marriage-based green card, include as much evidence of your relationship as possible.
  • Try to avoid asking that your fingerprinting appointment be rescheduled.

Applying for a Green Card of Fiance(e) Visa at a US Embassy?



Four Tips for Working with the National Visa Center (NVC)

The NVC processes applications before they sent to a US Embassy abroad.  It processes green card applications and applications for fiance(e) visas. Once the NVC has received the correct fees, forms and documents, it sends the file to a US Embassy for a visa interview.  You will find helpful information in working with the NVC below.

1.NVC Website

Provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions at:

FAQ’s in English  or FAQ’s in Spanish


2. Documents

Send copies of documents NOT the original documents to the NVC.  This includes birth certificates. The green card applicant must bring the original documents to the visa interview.


3. Mailing Documents to the NVC

Mail all document sin one envelope and include the cover sheet provided by the NVC in this envelope.


4. US Embassy Website

After scheduling a green card interview appointment, visit the US Embassy website for the embassy where you will be interviewed. The website will include the most recent information on the required medical appointment and processing fees required by the embassy.

For New Immigrants: A Welcome Guide


New Immigrants: USCIS recently published a Welcome Guide for New Immigrants.   This guide provides helpful information on topics such as how to keep you permanent resident (green card)  status, how to get a social security number, and what could happen if you are convicted of a crime. To view this guide, click on  Guide for New Immigrants