Immigration Application Fees to Increase 12/23/2016

gallery-thumbnailsUSCIS Imigration Application Filing Fees will increase on December 23, 2016. If you are thinking about filing an immigration application, and you are eligible, file now before the fee increase.  Any application filed or postmarked on December 23, 2016 must include the new fee, or it will be returned by USCIS.

To find out if you are eligible to file an immigration applcation, or for help with an immigration issue click on Contact Us

Some of the filing fee amounts will increase by a large amount.  The list below includes some, but not all, of the forms that will require a larger filing fee on 12/23/2016.

Family Immigration Applications

Application/Petition New Fee Old Fee
Fiancé(e) Petition, Form I-129F $460 $325
Relative Petition, form I-130 $535 $340


Employment Immigration Applications

Application/Petition New Fee Old Fee
Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129 $460 $325
Immigrant Worker, Form I-140 $700 $580


Green Card Applications (in the US)

Application/Petition New Fee Old Fee
Adjust Status to Permanent Resident (green card holder),

Certain applicants under age 14

$1140 + $85 Biometric fee

Total = $1225


$985 + $85 Biometric fee

Total = $1070


Remove Conditions on Residence, Form I-751 $595 + $85 Biometric Fee

Total = $670

$505 + $85 biometric Fee

Total = $590


Citizenship Applications

Application/Petition New Fee Old Fee
Naturalization, Form N-400 $640 + $85 Biometric fee

Total = $725

Certain low-income applications may qualify for a reduced fee

$595 + $85 Biometric Fee

Total = $680

Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-600 $1170 $600/$550


Miscellaneous Applications

Application/Petition New Fee Old Fee
Extend/Change Nonimmigrant (Temporary) Status $370 $290
Waiver of Ground of Excludability, Form I-601


$585 $930
Provisional Waiver of Unlawful Presence, Form I-601A $630 $585
Employment Authorization, Form I-765 $410 $380
Travel Document, Forms I-131 & I-131A $575 $360

For a complete list of the new fees click on New Immigration Fees

Applying for a Fiance(e) Visa?


Fiance(e) Visa Application and Application for a Green  Card – Five-Steps 

If you are a foreign national  engaged to a US citizen, the US citizen may sponsor you for a green card.  This is a five-step process.



  1. USCIS: US citizen fiance(e) may file a fiance(e) petition with USCIS.
  2.  National Visa Center:(NVC): Once the fiance(e) petition is approved, the file is sent to the NVC for collection of fees, forms and documents. Once the NVC has received the correct fees, forms and documents, it sends the file to a US Embassy for a visa interview.  You will find helpful information in working with the NVC below.
  3. US Embassy: When the fiance(e) visa application is complete, the visa applicant will be scheduled for an interview at a US Embassy.  The embassy website provides helpful information on what you will need to bring to the interview.
  4. Border: Once the fiance(e) visa is approved by the US Embassy, the visa applicant will receive a fiance(e) visa stamp that may be presented at the US border for admission to the US. As long as the fiance(e) visa-holder is admissible to the US, he or she will be admitted for up to 90 days to marry the US citizen.
  5. USCIS: If the fiance(e) visa-holder marries his or her US citizen sponsor within 90 days of entry, the fiance(e) visa holder may file an application for a green card in the US.

Tips for working with the NVC

1.NVC Website

Provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions at:

FAQ’s in English  or FAQ’s in Spanish

2. Documents

Send copies of documents NOT the original documents to the NVC.  This includes birth certificates. The green card applicant must bring the original documents to the visa interview.

3. Mailing Documents to the NVC

Mail all documents in one envelope and include the cover sheet provided by the NVC in this envelope.

4. US Embassy Website

After scheduling a green card interview appointment, visit the US Embassy website for the embassy where you will be interviewed. The website will include the most recent information on the required medical appointment and processing fees required by the embassy.

Lost Green Card or Re-entry Permit and Need to Board a Plane to the US?


Lost Green Card or Re-entry Permit and Need to Board a Plane to the US?

A new form, Form I-131A, allows those who have lost a green card or re-entry permit  to apply for a travel document  to present to an airline or vessel for boarding.

Who is eligible to apply for a boarding document?

  1. If your green card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed


  1. You are returning from a temporary trip outside the US of less than one year


  1. Your Re-entry Permit has been Lost, stolen, or destroyed


  1. You are returning from a temporary trip outside the US of less than two years

You may file Form I-131A to apply for documentation to present to your carrier for boarding


How do I apply for a Travel Document if I am eligible to File Form I-131A?

  1. Pay the filing fee online at: Form I-134A Filing Fee
  • The current filing fee is $360.  This may change, so be sure to get updated information on the amount of the filing fee.
  1. Apply in person at a US Embassy or consulate
  • Bring evidence that you have paid the fee with you.

If you are eligible for Form I-131A, the US Embassy or consulate will generally issue documentation you may provide to your carrier (carrier documentation) within two weeks.  This documentation allows a permanent resident (green card holder) to prove to a transportation carrier that he or she is authorized to travel to the US.  You will still be inspected at the border and a Customs and Border Protection officer will make a decision on your admission to the US.

Please Note:

  1. The carrier documentation does not provide a new green card. You need to file Form I-90 to request a replacement green card.
  1. Before you go to a US embassy or consulate to apply for a travel document, contact the embassy or consulate to verify that the embassy is able to process Form I-131A and to get updates on instructions. You may be able to get this information from the embassy or consulate website.
  1. If your green card has expired, and you are still in possession of your expired green card, you may not need to file Form I-131A. If you have an expired green card, check with your carrier before you file Form I-131A.
  • Although immigration regulations require green card holders to travel with a valid (unexpired) green card, there is a Customs and Border Patrol policy that allows carriers bound for the US to board green card holders if one of the following applies :
    • Your expired green card was issued with a 10- year expiration date, or
    • Your expired green card has a 2-year expiration date, AND
      • You filed a petition to remove the condition on your green card, and
      • You received a notice that extends the validity of the card