Requesting Tax Return Information

Tax return information from previously filed returns can be requested in two forms: the tax return transcript, or the tax account transcript. A tax return transcript shows most of line items from the tax return as it was when originally filed. It does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustment made after the return was filed. This transcript also show basic data, such as marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

You can order copies of the transcripts by phone or by mail. The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts. If ordering these forms by phone, call 1‑800‑829‑1040. If ordering them by mail, use IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return), which can be picked up at a local IRS office or found online.

PLEASE NOTE: Immigration law and regulations change frequently. In order to protect yourself you should make sure that you understand the laws and how they apply to you. If you have questions about your status, you should consult an expert. If you would like to be notified about recent changes to this website, or if you would like to receive Immigration Tips by email, please provide us with your email address. If you would like help from Ms. Chappell-Daly, please contact her.