Outstanding Professors and Researchers

To qualify for the outstanding professor/researcher category, an individual must first show that he has at least three years of experience in teaching or research.

Second, the individual must be engaged in academic teaching or research, and must have a job offer. The job offer may be from a university or institution of higher learning offering the individual a tenure-track teaching position or a permanent research position. The job offer may also be from a private employer that is offering the applicant a permanent research position. (If this is the case, the employer must show that it employs at least three persons in research positions and that it has documented achievements in the academic field.) Because the outstanding professors/researchers category is an employment-based first preference immigration classification, a labor certification is not needed.

Finally, the outstanding professor/researcher must document that he is internationally recognized for his work in his field. This may be shown by presenting evidence that the individual meets at least two of the following six criteria:

  1. Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement in the academic field;
  2. Membership in associations in the individual’s field which require outstanding achievements of their members;
  3. Published material in professional publications written by others about the individual’s work in the academic field;
  4. Participation as the judge of the work of others in the same or an allied academic field;
  5. Original scientific or scholarly research contributions; or
  6. Authorship of scholarly books or articles in scholarly journals with international circulation in the academic field.

PLEASE NOTE: Immigration law and regulations change frequently. In order to protect yourself you should make sure that you understand the laws and how they apply to you. If you have questions about your status, you should consult an expert. If you would like to be notified about recent changes to this website, or if you would like to receive Immigration Tips by email, please provide us with your email address. If you would like help from Ms. Chappell-Daly, please contact her.