Treaty Traders/Investors

The E-1 and E-2 Treaty Traders/Investors category is for foreign nationals who would like to enter the US pursuant to the provisions of a treaty of commerce and navigation or bilateral trade agreement between the US and a foreign state. If and individual enters under the Trader classification, he must enter the US solely to carry on substantial trade in services or technology between the US and the foreign state. If he enters under the Investor category, the individual must enter solely to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which he has invested substantial capital. Employees of the investor (or the established company) may work in the US if they are: (1) a Manager, or (2) an Individual serving in a technical capacity requiring training and qualifications to establish the enterprise, train or supervise persons serving in technical positions, or engage in monitoring or improving products.

PLEASE NOTE: Immigration law and regulations change frequently. In order to protect yourself you should make sure that you understand the laws and how they apply to you. If you have questions about your status, you should consult an expert. If you would like to be notified about recent changes to this website, or if you would like to receive Immigration Tips by email, please provide us with your email address. If you would like help from Ms. Chappell-Daly, please contact her.