What is a Two-Year Green Card?

When you receive a green card based on marriage to a US citizen, and you filed your green card application within two years of your marriage, you receive what is known as “conditional” residence. The green card that you receive is valid for two years. You and your spouse are required to file an application to remove the condition, Form I-751, within the 90-day period before your conditional green card expires. The date that your green was approved, and the date that conditional residence expires, is on the front of your green card.

If your green card is not based on marriage to a US citizen, or you applied for your green card more than two years after the date of your marriage to a US citizen, you are a permanent residence. You do not have conditional residence and you do not have to file a form to remove the condition on your permanent residence. You will, however, need to file a form to renew your card every 10 years.

When you receive your green card in the mail, USCIS provides some information about the difference between filing to remove the condition on your residence (two-year residence) and filing to renew your permanent residence card. You can also find information on your status as a permanent residence at the USCIS website: www.uscis.gov.