NAFTA Professionals

The TN category is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between Mexico, Canada, and the US. To facilitate trade and address business concerns among the member nations, NAFTA provides certain nonimmigrant benefits to Mexican and Canadian professionals who would like to enter the US to engage in professional employment. TN professionals must be coming to the US to work in an occupations designated under NAFTA. The list of qualifying occupations can be found here.

Although Mexico, Canada, and the US are all equal members under NAFTA, the immigration benefits for TN professionals are slanted more positively towards Canadian nationals. Canadians who qualify for TN status may apply for admission at any US border crossing and are not required to apply for a visa at a US embassy. Though the eligibility criteria are the are the same, Mexican nationals must apply for a TN visa at the US embassy in Mexico prior to their admission into the US.

TN visas are issued for an initial period of 1 year, and can be renewed for additional 1 year periods without limitation.

PLEASE NOTE: Immigration law and regulations change frequently. In order to protect yourself you should make sure that you understand the laws and how they apply to you. If you have questions about your status, you should consult an expert. If you would like to be notified about recent changes to this website, or if you would like to receive Immigration Tips by email, please provide us with your email address. If you would like help from Ms. Chappell-Daly, please contact her.