Record Departure from US


How to record Departure from the US

It may be important to prove the date(s) of your departure from the US.  For example, you may need to show that you have not overstayed your admission period to the US, or you may want to document the time you have spent out of the US for purposes of recapturing time in H-1B status.

 When you enter the US by air or sea, DHS records your entry and departure electronically. DHS no longer issues paper I-94 at air or sea ports of entry.  You may visit the following website to print a copy of your electronic I-94.  Print copy of I-94

If you left the US by commercial airline or cruise ship, the Department of Homeland Security may independently verify your departure.  It is therefore not necessary for you to take any further action to record your departure.  It would be a good idea however, for you to keep your outbound boarding pass.  This may help you the next time you re-enter the US.

If you enter the US by land, DHS will issue a paper I-94. You should turn this in at the border upon your departure so that your exit from the US is recorded properly.

If you left the US without registering your departure by turning in your I-94 card, you should take steps to make sure that your departure has been recorded by the Department of Homeland Security.

If you left the US by land, private ship or private plane, you may take the following steps to prove that you left the US:

  1. Send your I-94 Departure record, along with any paper documents that prove you left the US to:

Coleman Data Solutions

Box 7965

Akron, OH 44306

Attn: NIDPS (I-94)


(If using U.S. Postal Service)

Coleman Data Solutions

3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2

Akron, OH  44312

Attn: NIDPS (I-94)

(If using FedEx or UPS

  1. Documents that will help you prove departure from the US.
  • Original boarding passes you used to depart another county, if you flew home from there,
  • Photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport showing entry to another country after you left the US, include a copy of the biographical page from your passport
  • Photocopies of other evidence showing that you left the US, such as:
  • Dated paychecks of vouchers showing that you worked in another country after you left the US.
  • Dated bank records, showing transactions showing transactions indicating that you were in another country after you left the US
  • School records showing attendance at a school outside the US, and
  • Dated credit card receipts, showing your name, for purchases made after you left the US
  1. You may include a letter to explain how the records you provided prove that you left the US.

Keep a copy of everything you send to the Department of Homeland Security.  Bring the copy with you the next time you come to the US. For more information on Form I-94 visit the following website I-94 Facts .

Employment for Husband or Wife of Some H-1B Workers


Some husbands or wives of H-1B workers may file an application for permission to work in the US beginning May 26, 2015.

Who can apply?

  1. Must be in H-4 status and be married to an H-1B worker, and
  2. H-1B husband or wife must fit into one of the following groups:
    1. The H-1b worker has an approved I-140, but must wait to apply for a green card until an immigrant visa (green card) becomes available based on the Visa Bulletin (H-1B can file application for extension of status in three-year increments until he or she can apply for a green card, or
    2. H-1B  spouse can file application for extension of status in one-year increments because either a Labor Certification or an I-140 was filed for him or her before the end of the 5th year in H-1B status.

A husband or wife of an H-1B worker who meets the above requirements may file an Application for Employment Authorization on Form I-765 beginning May 26, 2015 with supporting evidence and a $380 filing fee.

What supporting Evidence is Required?

  1. Marriage certificate showing marriage to current H-1B husband or wife
    1. Evidence that shows H-1B husband or wife meets the above requirements for filing an application for extension of H-1B status beyond 6 years
  2. Entry Documents from Most Recent Entry to US
    1. I-94, either card (front and back) or printout
  3. Copy of most recent EAD
  4. If H-4 has never received an EAD, submit copy of government-issued identity document showing picture, name and date of birth, such as,
    1. Passport
    2. Birth certificate with a photo ID
  • Visa issued by foreign consulate, or
  1. -National identity document
  2. Two identical color photographs of yourself, taken within 30 days of filing your application

Warning!! No H-4 EAD applications will be accepted before May 26, 2015. Do not pay anyone to file an EAD application for you before that date.





H-4 Employment

I-94 arrival/departure history online

May 1, 2014: Arrival and departure records are now available online.  Travelers may now access records of their arrivals and departures from the US for the past five years.  This information is often required on immigration applications. Records that are accessible online can save  immigration applicants time.  In the past, if immigration applicants did not have this information, they had to file a request for records with CBP. It could take weeks or even months to receive the records. For more information go to the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) website at:

I-9 Information for Employers

April 30, 2014: The Dept. of Homeland Security has begun issuing electronic arrival/departure cards to travelers entering the US.  This means that non-immigrants entering the US will no longer receive paper I-94 cards. The foreign national may access and print out the electronic I-94, but it will look different than the former I-94 card. This is important to employers because employers are required to document that each new employee is authorized to work in the US by maintaining a completed I-9 for each employee.  An I-94 form is one of the documents that an employee may produce to verify employment authorization.  Since the printed electronic I-94 looks different than the paper I-94, employers might be confused about what document to accept for proof of employment authorization.   The paper I-94 card will have an original stamp and writing on it.  The printout of the electronic I-94 will have no original writing or stamps.  Both paper versions and printouts of the electronic I-94 are acceptable. For more information on completing I-9 forms watch  this  short video provided by USCIS :