Record Departure from US

How to record Departure from the US

It may be important to prove the date(s) of your departure from the US. For example, you may need to show that you have not overstayed your admission period to the US, or you may want to document the time you have spent out of the US for purposes of recapturing time in H-1B status.

When you enter the US by air or sea, DHS records your entry and departure electronically. DHS no longer issues paper I-94 at air or sea ports of entry. You may visit the following website to print a copy of your electronic I-94. Print copy of I-94

If you left the US by commercial airline or cruise ship, the Department of Homeland Security may independently verify your departure. It is therefore not necessary for you to take any further action to record your departure. It would be a good idea, however, for you to keep your outbound boarding pass. This may help you the next time you re-enter the US.

If you enter the US by land, DHS will issue a paper I-94. You should turn this in at the border upon your departure so that your exit from the US is recorded properly.

If you left the US without registering your departure by turning in your I-94 card, you should take steps to make sure that your departure has been recorded by the Department of Homeland Security.

If you left the US by land, private ship or private plane, you may take the following steps to prove that you left the US:

  1. Send your I-94 Departure record, along with any paper documents that prove you left the US to:

Coleman Data Solutions
Box 7965
Akron, OH 44306
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)
(If using U.S. Postal Service)
Coleman Data Solutions
3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2
Akron, OH 44312
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)
(If using FedEx or UPS

  1. Documents that will help you prove departure from the US.
    • Original boarding passes you used to depart another county if you flew home from there
    • Photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport showing entry to another country after you left the US. Include a copy of the biographical page from your passport
    • Photocopies of other evidence showing that you left the US, such as:
      • Dated paychecks of vouchers showing that you worked in another country after you left the US.
      • Dated bank records, showing transactions showing transactions indicating that you were in another country after you left the US
      • School records showing attendance at a school outside the US, and
      • Dated credit card receipts, showing your name, for purchases made after you left the US
  2. You may include a letter to explain how the records you provided proof that you left the US.

Keep a copy of everything you send to the Department of Homeland Security. Bring the copy with you the next time you come to the US. For more information on Form I-94 visit the following website I-94 Facts.

Immigration Updates